Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Getting tested for diabetes this week. I have many questions and concerns. Help please.?

Hello. Thank you if you are reading my post and it would be most appreciated if you can answer a few of my concerns.


My mom is finally getting me tested for diabetes. I cried to her and told her some of my symptoms but i didn't tell her they were symptoms of Type 1 diabetes, she just assumed it was diabetes only because i told her i urinate a lot. But now i am worried that when i go to the doctors that the tests will not read that I have diabetes, when I KNOW I have Type 1 diabetes. I know i am no doctor, but i also know i am no hypochondriac.





But I find that the fasting test or the tests where you prick your finger aren't accurate. I want to take a A1C or AC1 test? (what is it called?) because it shows your sugar levels form the past 90 days and i hear it is very accurate. i want to take every test possible so they will show i have Type 1 diabetes, because if the results show i don't, then this will be the only time i get to go to a doctor and get tested.





The reason I am worried that it might not detect my diabetes, is because I've read about people who didn't get diagnosed until the third time they got tested or until they went other numerous times. Plus, I am going to a cheap, local clinic so i am worried about the equipment or the doctor's care. My mom has had a time were she had to go to a different clinic because the doctor gave her wrong results for something she got checked. But i know that if the doctor tells my mom i don't have diabetes, my mom will Just be satisfied with those results and think I exaggerated. I know for sure my diabetes is at a stage of severity.





Additionally, my mom doesn't get the difference between type 1 or 2. Well I am assuming she thinks there is Just one type of diabetes which is type 2 mostly find in obese children. I am not obese and she believes i should cut down on the sugar ever since she now believes I have diabetes, and believes this will control it and make me feel better. When in fact the diabetes I have requires me to take insulin and not Just to Control my diet.





Should i tell my doctor all my symptoms and that I am sure I have Type 1 diabetes (or will he think me a hypochondriac? Or will he get offended that I am self-diagnosing myself?) I don't know what type of an appointment my mom is going to make. Since it's a clinic, I don't want them to scam me or my mom by giving me one measly blood test that shows i have no diabetes.





I know my mom is going to tell me to fast the night before. Should i fast, no matter what tests i take because I know an AC1 or A1C test doesn't require fasting but the other tests do? Should i suggest to the doctor to give me a A 1C or AC1 test, or will he automatically give me One with no extra charge.





Will he charge extra for a urinal tests which aren't accurate but I want to see if I have ketones (i think that's how you spell it) but I don't think I do. Will the doctor supply all the test or will i have to ask him? how do fasting test work? I know I am supposed to fast, then in the morning test myself, but am i supposed to have lemonade or a sugary drink, then get tested and then continue to fast for five hours and get tested in one hour intervals? I really don't want to do that because I think it's inaccurate but then again I do think it's useful.





Will the doctor autmaticlaly ask me for my symptoms? will he explain that the junk food i apparently eat too much of is not the cause of my diabetes? Will the doctor just give me one blood test without talking to me or taking my weight or blood pressure ( i want him to take my blood pressure, my heart rate is always really high) or height. I am worried that base on what my mom makes the appointment on, the doctor will only perform what my mother requested or paid for. I am afraid I won't be able to communicate my symptoms to my doctor. I want so many test made on me but I am afraid the doctor won't perform them on me, and that my mother wouldn't want me to take them either, because they will most likely call for more appointments and money. I also want a UTI test. Should I ask my doctor why i haven't gone into some diabetic coma by now? Can you please help me? Please and Thank you. I am so sorry I sound like a hypochondriac and make my questions redundant but this might be my only chance to get tested for diabetes.Getting tested for diabetes this week. I have many questions and concerns. Help please.?
Ok, make a list of what you want to ask the doctor. S/he can decide what test is worth it and make sure you ask for an explanation if they say no to one of them. I''ll try to answer all your questions as best I can;





';But now i am worried that when i go to the doctors that the tests will not read that I have diabetes, when I KNOW I have Type 1 diabetes. ';


If you are at the severe stage you say you are, it will definitely come back positive. If you have type 1 diabetes then it is very unlikely you will test a false negative. Diabetes is characterised by high blood sugar and will show up in their testing (if you have a fasting test it won't be a finger prick but from the vein. )








But I find that the fasting test or the tests where you prick your finger aren't accurate.


It will be from the vein, ask for a A1c





';Will he charge extra for a urinal tests which aren't accurate but I want to see if I have ketones (i think that's how you spell it) but I don't think I do.'; I am not sure if they charge more but I don't think he will unless you have lost unexplained weight.





';how do fasting test work?';


You don't eat or drink anything but water for 8-12hours before the test





';am i supposed to have lemonade or a sugary drink, then get tested and then continue to fast for five hours and get tested in one hour intervals? I really don't want to do that because I think it's inaccurate but then again I do think it's useful. ';


You mean a GTT. If your doctor wants one then it will be done at the doctors office. They will give you the drink and take blood from the vein. It doesnt take 5 hours but 2 or 3. It is definitely not inaccurate.





Will the doctor automatically ask me for my symptoms?


Yes





will he explain that the junk food i apparently eat too much of is not the cause of my diabetes?


Yes, if type 1 and you ask him





';Will the doctor just give me one blood test without talking to me or taking my weight or blood pressure ( i want him to take my blood pressure, my heart rate is always really high) or height.';


Maybe, mine took blood pressure but not weight, but then all doctors are different. You can always ask.





';I am worried that base on what my mom makes the appointment on, the doctor will only perform what my mother requested or paid for. ';


I'm not familiar with how doctors appt work in US but thats not what happens here. You dont request anything before the appt.





I am afraid I won't be able to communicate my symptoms to my doctor.


Write a list





I want so many test made on me but I am afraid the doctor won't perform them on me, and that my mother wouldn't want me to take them either, because they will most likely call for more appointments and money.


They should at least take a general fasting test that tests for everything - deficiencies, white blood cell count, glucose.





I also want a UTI test.


Ask, I don't see any prob with that.





Should I ask my doctor why i haven't gone into some diabetic coma by now?


Only if you have ketones and high blood sugar.





In summary, you are paying for his/her time and can ask whatever you want of them. They are the trained experts, not you so dont feel silly asking questions. They are there to make sure you are healthy. Make sure you write everything done so you dont forget anything.Getting tested for diabetes this week. I have many questions and concerns. Help please.?
Make a list of any symptoms you have for the doctor.


You will get a finger stick and a blood draw and a urine check.


Fasting means nothing to eat 12 hours before the test.Nothing.


Ask the doctor for a HbA1c test and tell him/her you would like to be tested for a UTI- do you have symptoms of this too? Does it hurt to urinate ? Are you going often but have no urine ?


I wish you the best and hope you are well.
If you had severe type 1 you would be in hospital right now being trained in how to administer insulin injections!!! SO OK! YOU DO NOT HAVE SEVERE TYPE 1!!! get over it!





GTT is what they give pregnant ladies just so they can see them gag and heave then they can give them grief about their gag reflexes and make them do it again in a month!! that is only guaranteed to give everyone taking it a nasty headache and be bittttchy!





HbA1c is blood draw! It is usually done in a panel of other tests on blood so must fast for the other tests. It is only done by itself for quarterly checking of diagnosed diabetics. Other draw panels are done annually.





For diabetic testing they do several panels of blood draw work, urinalysis and physical exam! This is very expensive if we don't have insurance!





Get over the thought that you have TYPE 1 diabetes as most likely you do NOT! The symptoms are exactly the same for either one. And you are acting like a very very spoiled hypochondriac!
if anything, you have type 2. lose the sugar. get a glucose meter and check your blood sugar. test on the arm, it doesn't hurt. high blood sugar causes fatigue.
gee u are a long writer.....clear and simple..im not diabetic but i do know....


Fast the night before ...dont eat after 8pm....only water.........


Tell Doctor All your symptoms.....


The test is called A1C...Hemoglobin A1C to be exact....


Relax...it will be ok.
it won't be your only chance to get tested for diabetes and it takes a couple of tests at separate times to be sure





the finger prick tests show your current glucose level and that can vary a lot the A1C test will show what your average over the last 3 months was.





Don't panic the Doctor will be able to diagnose if your diabetic or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment